Yep, it’s back-to-school time, which would account for your kids going around with long faces.
Well, you should tell them to snap out of it, and get out there and have some fun before they get back to the books and teachers’ dirty looks.
Because the thing is, there’s still plenty of fun to be had.
Here’s where you can still find summer:
- Put in some foam ear plugs and take them to the Circle K Back-to-School Monster Truck Bash. No, it’s not held in the parking lot of the Circle K; that’s just the name. It’s on Saturday, Aug. 17, at the Charlotte Motor Speedway, and if you come early (gates open at 4, or 3:30 for those who bring school supplies to donate), the kids can get their pictures taken with the monstrous machines and their drivers.
- Take them out to the ballgame: The Charlotte Knights have a few more games left, and on Sundays there’s an added bonus — kids are allowed to run the bases. What better way could there be to help them get their wiggles out before they have to got back to sitting still for hours on end?
- From now until Sept. 26, River Jam at the U.S. National Whitewater Center brings live musical performances to this one-of-a-kind outdoor venue, right in the middle of the world’s largest man-made whitewater river. Performances are from 7-10 p.m. on Thursday, Friday, and Saturday nights.
- Remember that we mentioned the public “beach” at Lake Norman’s Ramsey Creek Park back at the start of the season? Well, the beach is open until Labor Day, so get on out there while the getting’s good.
- For that matter, the Rock Quarry at Carrigan Farms in Mooresville is available to swim in, too. This natural, spring-fed body of water is open to the public from 10-3 on weekends.
- Finally, right here in Huntersville, there’s Movies in the Park starting a few minutes after sunset. The next show will be “The Lego Movie 2: The Second Part” on Aug. 22.